|Sample Search: Give unemployment for New Zealand on a quarterly basis from 1986 to the present.
Finding the Code:
Finding the Program:
- The program for looking up economic codes in Datastream does not have a simple HELP command associated with it. Rather, it is indicated only by its number, 150Z. Enter 150Z in the "Program Number" area and press Enter. In the new program window, there will be a list of geographic regions. Choose the geographic region of interest. After locating New Zealand in the list, select the specific area of economic interest from the provided list of categories. In this case, choose the section, Labour. Finally, choose the series code from the resulting list of items. The Datastream code for unemploymed in New Zealand is NZTOTUNPF.
- To find Economic data values over a short period of time, select Time Series as your type of request. Next, choose Economics as your type of data and select from the resulting list of available programs the item for values over time for up to 12 series. Press Enter. This program will produce the single list of data required.
Things to Remember:
- In the new program window, enter the series code NZTOTUNPF and press Tab to skip to the next line. Enter the frequency, Q, to obtain quarterly data, and then enter the beginning date, 0186 (mmyy). The area for the end date should be left blank to indicate your desire for all data up to the present. Upon pressing enter, unemployment in New Zealand, expressed in thousands of people, will appear on the screen in calendar format. If you entered any parameters incorrectly, the program will stop, decribe the error, and allow you to enter each item again.
- One will often encounter the same description for an economic indicator with 2 or more codes. The only difference will often be the final letter of the code. Common designators are:
A current prices - not seasonally adjusted
B current prices - seasonally adjusted
C constant prices - not seasonally adjusted
D constant prices - seasonally adjusted
E seasonally adjusted
F not seasonally adjusted
- Datastream gets data directly from individual country's statistical offices, central banks, and governmental organizations as well as from other organizations. The following is what the listing looks like:
55 JAPAN - IBJ/NIKKO DATABASE
56 SOUTH AFRICA
1 UNITED KINGDOM
6 UNITED STATES
70 OTHER COUNTRIES A TO M
71 OTHER COUNTRIES N TO Z
77 GLOBAL AND EUROPEAN INDICATORS
82 FORECASTS - CONSENSUS ECONOMICS
84 FORECASTS - EIU
86 FORECASTS - OECD
88 OECD HISTORICAL DATA
80 WIIW EASTERN EUROPEAN DATA
89 EUROSTAT KEY INDICATORS
97 IMF DATA
For countries other than Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, South Africa, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and the United States, select "OTHER COUNTRIES A TO M" or "OTHER COUNTRIES N TO Z" depending on the first letter of the country you wish to research.
The "OTHER COUNTRIES" are Argentina, Australia, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Venezuela, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe.
- In addition to getting data from specific countries, Datastream also obtains data from organizations such as the International Monetary Fund, the OECD, Eurostat, and WIIW. Forecasts from the Economist Intelligence Unit, OECD, Consensus Economics, and WIIW. Data from outside organizations is always grouped by the provider and not with the individual country, so check all places.