Tour written by Jen Hunter, Head of Firestone General Service Operations
Photos by Brandon Johnson, Office of Library Communications
Welcome to Firestone Library
Welcome to the Harvey S. Firestone Memorial Library, also simply known as Firestone. Firestone is the largest of the nine campus branches of Princeton University Library and has many of the Library’s central operations such as interlibrary loan, shipping and receiving, and administration.
Though it spans all disciplines, its main collections are in humanities and social sciences, with other branches holding the primary collections core to the departments they support.
Use this floor-by-floor guide to learn about the services, spaces, and collections located in Firestone Library.
About the Building
The building is named for Harvey S. Firestone, whose family donated $1 million. He was a pioneer in the development of rubber. All five of Firestone’s sons were Princeton alumni.
Construction of the building was completed in 1948 with additions in 1971 and 1988, with the most recent renovation completed in 2019. Renovation highlights include:
more seating and seating options
opening sight lines to allow for more natural light