- Tanselle, G. Thomas. Guide to the Study of United States Imprints. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1971. Provides a useful appendix of 250 titles on U.S. publishing and the top 250 reference books in this field (some outdated). Includes regional list: books printed in a particular region, city, time period and genre list. Searchable via Google Books: V.1 & V.2
- Moebs, Thomas Truxtun. U. S. Reference-iana, 1481-1899. Williamsburg, Virginia: Moebs Publishing Co., 1989. Compiled by Maryland bookseller. A valuable resource listing standard bibliographies and catalogues on a particular Americana subject. Regretfully, the publication does not include an index.
- Howes, Wright. U.S.iana, 1650-1950. Revised and enlarged edition. New York: Bowker, 1962. A very selective and somewhat outdated bibliography.
- Stillwell, Margaret Bingham. Incunabula and Americana, 1450-1800. A Key to Bibliography Study. New York: Columbia University Press, 1930. Encompasses all of the Americas—not just North America. A good introduction to Americana reference books, as well as "Foreign bibliographical terms" (p. 203-214), "Latin contractions and abbreviations" (p. 215-225), and "Place-names of fifteenth century printing towns" (p. 227-248). Searchable via Google Books: 2nd ed.
Bibliographies and Catalogues:
- Evans, Charles. American Bibliography: A Chronological Dictionary of All Books, Pamphlets, and Periodical Publications Printed in the United States of America from …1639 to… 1800. Chicago: 1903-1959. Fourteen volumes. The standard work covering anything printed in the U.S. Superseded by NAIP.
Bristol, roger. Supplement to Charles Evans’ American bibliography. 1970.
Shipton, Clifford K. and Mooney, James E. National Index of American Imprints through 1800; the Short-Title Evans. Worcester, Massachusetts: American Antiquarian Society, 1969. Two volumes.