What's in this Guide
The Major Collections section to the right and the tabs near the top of this page direct to a wide range of archives, documents, manuscripts, ephemera, prints and collections from and about Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula held by the Princeton University Library. Corresponding call numbers are provided whenever relevant, as well as links to finding aids or to catalog records that describe in considerable detail the contents of collections.
Most of the collections listed here are available in the Department of Rare Books and Special Collections (RBSC), in the Microforms Collection, or online. Also included are a small number of collections from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) which are easily available to Princeton affiliates through Borrow Direct.
This is by no means a comprehensive list of primary sources available at Princeton. Additional resources may be identified searching the Main Catalog or the resources listed in the Beyond Princeton box to the far right.
- Archives of Latin American Writers and Intellectuals in the Manuscripts Division
Find here a list of all the collections of correspondence and papers from Latin American writers, cultural figures, and intellectuals held by the Manuscripts Division, and links to their finding aids.
- Princeton University's Latin American Ephemera Collections
This guide serves as an introduction to the Library's vast collection of ephemera documenting political and social movements, as well as a wide variety of socioeconomic and cultural developments.
- Latin American Posters Digital Collection
This extensive and growing collection of posters is a subset of the broader collections of Latin American ephemera. It includes posters created by a wide variety of social activists, non-governmental organizations, government agencies, political parties, and other types of organizations across Latin America, in order to publicize their views, positions, agendas, policies, events, and services.
- Graphic Arts Collection
Some of the most important Latin American components of this collection are:
- Lorenzo Homar Collection,
- Juan Pascoe and Taller Martín Pescador Collection,
- Latin American prints and posters Collection,
- Taller de Gráfica Popular prints and posters,
- A collection of prints and posters by the Asamblea de Artistas Revolucionarios de Oaxaca (ASARO),
- Mexican Postcards Collection, 1890-2000,
- An extensive collection of ephemera relating to tourism in Mexico (1890-2000),
- Collection of paintings and drawings by Severo Sarduy.
- Mudd Library's Foreign Policy Papers
Find here a list of collections among Mudd Library's Public Policy Papers that contain important documentation related to Latin America.
- Mesoamerican Manuscripts at Princeton
Describes the holdings of the three collections of Mesoamerican manuscripts available at Princeton University Library: Garrett-Gates Mesoamerican Manuscripts Collection (C0744), Garrett Collection of Mesoamerican Manuscripts (C0744), and Princeton Collection of Mesoamerican Manuscripts (C0940).
For a narrative survery of Princeton's major holdings of primary sources ranging from the 16th century to the 20th century, please read Beginning the Search for Latin America.
Illustration: Burundanga babilónica. Print by Lorenzo Homar, 1970. Lorenzo Homar Collection, Graphic Arts Collection, Princeton University Library.
- Biblioteca Virtual del Patrimonio Bibliográfico
Provides access to the digital facsimiles of hundreds of manuscript collections and and rare books from Spain.
- Directorio Web de Archivos Iberoamericanos
Lists and links to the web pages of numerous archives across Latin America. Collection descriptions and access information are often provided.
- EuroDocs: Online Sources for European History
Links to European primary historical documents that are transcribed, reproduced in facsimile, or translated. Lists numerous open access resources from both Portugal and Spain.
- Latin American and Iberian Literary Manuscripts in the Northeast
Listing of collections held by the members of the Latin America Northeast Libraries Consortium (LANE).
- LANIC Archives
Links to the web pages of numerous archives based throughout Latin America, the Caribbean, the United States, and Europe.
- Portal de Archivos Españoles
Gateway to numerous archives in Spain, provides access to extensive list of finding aids and digital content.
- Resources for Special Collections (Seminar on the Acquisition of Latin American Library Materials)
This page provides some basic resources for those interested in learning more about the history of the book in Latin America, about Special Collections of Latin American materials, as well as information on topics related to Special Collections in general.