Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
International Urban Statistics
Finding statistics below the national level outside the United States is usually difficult and in some cases impossible. However, a few countries and regions provide extensive data from their statistical offices including subnational level data:
- Canada's E-Stat
- Indiastat.com (click on IP Login)
- Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States' Eastview UDB Statistics
- China Statistical Yearbooks Database (CNKI) Large selection of statistical data published by the Chinese government including census data. Chinese-language version offers more up-to-date and reliable results; best to use the yearbook navigation mode. Includes national, provincial, city, and many topical yearbooks.
- China Data Online Comprehensive statistical and economic information of China in English. The yearbook collection ends in 2011. For 2012+, use the China Statistical Bureau Website (must use in Internet Explorer). Select geo-coded data is contained in the Geo-Explorer I component.
- Global Insight includes regional data for China including a fair amount at the city level.
- Eurostat provides subnational statistics by province and/or city for many European Union members.
Some nations provide online versions of their most recent yearbooks. Princeton also maintains a large collection in paper (Social Science Reference Center - next to Ready Reference) and microfiche. For older editions consult the Main Catalog.
Inter-university Consortium for Social and Political Research
ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
ProQuest Statistical Insight
Indexes statistical publications issued by (1) the U.S. government (ASI; 2004+ full text); (2) international & intergovernmental sources (IIS; 2007+ select full text); and state governments and private sources (SRI). Most sources are available in microfiche. See the user guide for additional help.
The Social Science Electronic Data Library (SSEDL) provides you with a collection of robust data archives with more than
600 premier datasets and over 275,000 variables.
World Development Indicators
Includes annual economic, social, educational, environmental and health data from many of the World Bank's major statistical publications.
Population Index is the primary reference tool to the world's population literature. It presents an annotated bibliography of recently published books, journal articles, working papers, and other materials on population topics. This website provides a searchable and browsable database containing 46,035 abstracts of demographic literature published in Population Index in the period 1986-2000.
Other City Data Resources
Cities Ranked & Rated This E-Book covers US & Canadian city data for 2007. Chapters include Evaluating Cities, Finding and Your Best Place to Live.