Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ProQuest Historical Newspapers provides retrospective coverage of several U.S. newspapers going back to the first issue in full text, including:
Reader's Guide (1890-1982)
- Provides comprehensive indexing of the most popular general-interest periodicals published in the U.S.
America's Historical Newspapers (1690-1922)
- Provides full text of more than 1,000 U.S. historical newspapers from all 50 states.
ABYZ News Links
- Portal to online news sources from around the world.
- Links to newspaper sites, broadcast stations, Internet services, magazines and press agencies.
- Be aware the news sources are often not in English.
Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports
- Provides full text of the Daily Reports mentioned above for the years 1974-1996.
- At present, reports for Africa, Asia, Australia/Oceania and the Middle East/Near East are available.
- Other regions will be added later. For regions not covered, see the microfiche reports mentioned above.
World News Connection
- Continues coverage of the FBIS reports mentioned above from 1994 to present with full text.
Lexis Nexis Academic
- Provides full text access to news from across the U.S. and around the world.
- Coverage of most newspapers goes back to the mid 1980s, but varies widely.
- Click on the News tab at the top to begin your search.
NewsBank (Access World News)
- Provides full text of many major national and regional newspapers from the United States and around the world.
- Use the clickable map to select a country or state to search.
- Database from Dow Jones & Reuters that provides full text access to various newspapers and news wire services.
- Provides full text of the New York Times (1995+), Wall Street Journal (1982+), Los Angeles Times (1985+), and the Chicago Tribune (1985+).
Alt-Press Watch (1970-present)
- Full text database of newspapers, magazines and journals from alternative and independent presses.
Ethnic Newswatch (1960-present)
- Full text database of newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish).
- Pulls together related headlines and photos from Internet news sources worldwide.
- Stories are updated continuously throughout the day- useful for breaking news.
- Enables you to see how different news organizations around the world report the same events.
National Public Radio
- Internationally acclaimed producer and distributor of noncommercial news, talk, and entertainment programming.
- Provides a searchable, full-audio archive of programs back to 1996.
Public Broadcasting System
- Site highlights PBS news-related programs, including Frontline, POV, NOW, NewsHour and NOVA.
- Transcripts, audio, and video files of previous broadcasts are available.
- Podcasts and RSS are available on this site.
Vanderbilt University Television News Archive
- The most extensive archive of television news dating back to 1968.
- Evening news broadcasts from the major U.S. national broadcast networks.
- Access to TV-NewsSearch is free, but requires registration.
- You may request video segments (on loan only) for your research for a fee.
- The fees (up to a limit) are covered by our Interlibrary Loan Services, so contact a librarian before placing an order.