A digital repository is any accessible place (usually on the web) to store and access data that is created through research.
This is a partial list. You may also want try searching the re3data.org or Databib.org catalogs of research data respositories.
Special thanks to the resources/librarians at Princeton Data and Statistical Services, University of Minnesota, MIT & NCSU.
Astronomy & Astrophysics
Atmospheric Sciences & Climatology
Biology & Life Sciences
Earth & Planetary Sciences
- Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center
- IRI/LDEO Climate Data Library - Climate-related datasets from the International Research Institute for Climate and Society at Columbia University
- Marine Geoscience Data System (MGDS) - A data portal, hosted at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
(Columbia University), for a number of NSF-supported marine research programs
- NASA Warehouse Inventory Search Tool (WIST) - Locate earth science data from NASA and affiliated centers
- National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) - Meteorology and paleoclimatology
- NCAR/UCAR Community Data Portal - Climate and weather datasets and visualization software from the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
- National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC) - World-wide marine environmental and ecosystem data
- National Center for Atmospheric Research Computational & Information Systems Library
- USGS National Satellite Land Remote Sensing Data Archive - Note that some data access is fee-based
- National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) - Cryospheric datasets from ground field reseach and satellites
- Planetary Data System: The PDS archives and distributes scientific data from NASA planetary missions, astronomical observations, and laboratory measurements
- GEON: a collaborative cyberinfrastructure for integration of 3 and 4-dimensional earth science data
- Engineering & Space Science
- National Space Science Data Center
- Core Research Center, Denver, Colorado
The Core Research Center (CRC) preserves valuable rock cores for scientists and educators from government, industry, and academia.
- Woods Hole Science Center’s Sample Archive and Core Lab
The Woods Hole Science Center Sample Archive curates data for the USGS Coastal and Marine Geology Program.
- National Ice Core Laboratory (NSF & USGS )
The U.S. National Ice Core Laboratory (NICL) is a facility for storing, curating, and studying ice cores recovered from the polar regions of the world.
Geoscience & Geospatial Data
Social Science Data (Politics, Sociology, Economics, Demography, Criminal Justice)