Ebrary now allows users to download ebooks to devices. Ebrary users can download up to 60 pages of a book (or more if it's a single book chapter) into a permanent PDF file or an entire ebook using Adobe Digital Editions, which seems to load onto most ebook readers except the Kindle. Sign up for an Ebrary account, and the PDF download is simple: just click the "Download" button. Downloading an entire book is tricky the first time. Here’s a guide:
1. Once you choose your ebook, click the “Download Button.”
2. In order to download a book, you have to create an Ebrary account, which you don’t need just to view the books online.
3. Once you create the account, you have to sign in, of course. From now on, you’ll be prompted to sign in when you want to download.
4. You’re not quite done. Getting the partial ebook on PDF is easy, but to get the entire book you have to download Adobe Digital Editions.
5. At the Adobe Digital Editions site, you have to click “Install.”
6. After you click “Install,” you get another screen, where you have to click “Install” again.
7. Adobe needs you to be really sure you want this, so after clicking “Install” twice, you have to click “Yes” to actually download Digital Editions.
8. Then the setup begins.
9. And another step.
10. One more click and we’re done!
11.Well, almost. You still have to agree to the license terms.
12. Oh, and you still have a little setting up to do.
13. It turns out you can’t download the ebook without creating accounts with both Ebrary and Adobe. So it’s time to do that.
14. Fill in all that information and “Join Adobe.”
15. Success! Adobe Digital Editions activated.
16. Only you don’t have any books yet. So go back to the Ebrary download page and click “OK.”
17. Now you’ll get a prompt to download the ebook into Adobe Digital Editions. Click “OK.”
18. And now we have our book. Through Adobe Digital Editions, it can be moved to various ebook readers and devices. Unfortunately, despite having accounts with both Ebrary and Adobe at this point, it doesn’t sync across computers. So if you download a book onto one computer using Adobe Digital Editions, you won’t be able to log into Adobe from another computer and access the book.
So, there you have it. How to download your Ebrary ebook for the first time, in 18 easy steps.